Efficiency & correctness for port version upgrades

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Aug 1 00:03:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 04:27:30PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> One disadvantage (or is it an advantage? I'm never sure) of the fact
> that portmaster does not maintain state between runs is behavior like
> you're seeing here.

Fair enough.

> To answer your question, assuming that everything
> went well with the -o command, there is no reason that portmaster would
> have to build the port again. The -r option needs an up to date
> +REQUIRED_BY, which is a side effect of (re)building it; but the above
> could just as easily be written:
>
> portmaster -o www/neon29 www/neon28
> portmaster --check-depends
> portmaster `cat /var/db/pkg/neon29-0.29.3_2/+REQUIRED_BY`
>
> I often get the request for this feature (a -r that doesn't rebuild the
> port) but have never found the time to work on it. I'll try to get
> around to it soonish.

Actually, if the instructions in UPDATING were written as you described
up there, that would be sufficient, I believe:  It would get the job
done without duplication of effort -- which would seem to meet the
requirement.

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.