squidguard and squid3

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Mon Apr 26 08:51:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 08:11:06PM -0500, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> Is there an easy way to install and run squidguard with squid31?
>
> The squidguard port sets a run depend of www/squid which conflicts
> with www/squid31.  I don't particularly need squid3, but I'd prefer
> to not have to uninstall it.

squidguard depends on www/squid because that appears to be the "default"
squid port in ports.

The dependancy is given by the following line:

RUN_DEPENDS=    ${LOCALBASE}/sbin/squid:${PORTSDIR}/www/squid

which just means "check for a file in ${LOCALBASE}/sbin/squid and if it
does not exist install the www/squid port and depend on it".

If you just install the www/squid31 port, and then squidguard it will
NOT install www/squid (just tested this). In such a case the only
problem is that squidguard will not register a dependency on the squid31
port.

If you altready have www/squid installed and want to upgrade it to
squid31 you can use portmaster:

portmaster -o www/squid31 squid-2.7.8

(or equivalent commands with portupgrade and other similar utilities)

and this should move the dependencies too.

Another option you have is to just modify the above line in the makefile
like this:

RUN_DEPENDS=    ${LOCALBASE}/sbin/squid:${PORTSDIR}/www/squid31

and install new squid, then reinstall squidguard.

For the list: Is there some reason why the default squid port is still
version 2.7? What is the consensus on this?

Also, should the port provide some switch to choose on which squid
version to depend or is this deprecated?

As the maintainer of the squidguard port I'm open to suggestions. This
is not the first person to ask this question.

I hope to have helped you.

Best regards.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>