revisiting Spamassassin problem

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Apr 23 18:35:37 UTC 2010

Hi--

On Apr 23, 2010, at 11:27 AM, Robert Huff wrote:
> child process [76967] exited or timed out without signaling production of a PID file: exit 255 at /usr/local/bin/spamd line 2588.
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd: WARNING: failed to start spamd
>
> 	The thread offered no definite solution except to downgrade.
> 	Is this still the case?

Which version of SA are we talking about?

spamd from p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.0_3 from ports seems to work fine here, although since I normally invoke SA only via amavisd as a plugin, I don't run spamd normally.  If that's the version you are talking about, that line is around here:

  # bug 5379: spamd won't start if the temp preloading dir exists;
  # be sure to remove it just in case
  if (-d $tmpsadir) {
    rmdir( $tmpsadir ) or die "spamd: $tmpsadir not empty: $!";
  }

...which suggests $TMPDIR might be set to something invalid?

Regards,
--
-Chuck