Dynamic plists

Rob Farmer rfarmer at predatorlabs.net
Thu Apr 22 15:48:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de> wrote:
> On 22/04/2010 01:45, Rob Farmer wrote:
>> I maintain math/scilab and am preparing to update it. This port has a
>> huge plist (slightly under 15000 lines), hundreds of which change
>> depending on what options are selected. It is a bit of a pain to
>> update. The porters handbook makes vague reference to dynamic plists -
>> so I was wondering, would this be a good idea? And if so, what is the
>> best way to make one?
>
> You normally base it on the output of
> ${FIND} -s PATH -type f
> ${FIND} -d PATH -type d | ${SED} 's,^, at dirrm ,'

What would PATH be? It seem to me from a quick look through the tree
that the ports using dynamic plists are not following heir(7) but
instead installing everything in a single directory, like
/usr/local/jdk1.6.0/, and the plist can be generated by simply
enumerating the contents of that directory. That's not the case here.

The only workaround I saw for this was that the Mozilla ports seem to
do an install in a "fake" directory in the workdir, look at that, and
then copy that into /usr/local. I'm not sure I like the idea of
doubling the amount of work required for the install phase just to
save the maintainer a little time at upgrades, however.

--
Rob Farmer