VLC does not support the audio or video format "XVID".

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 23:30:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 04/17/10 23:48, Doug Barton wrote:
>> I recently updated -current, and all of my ports, and am now getting the
>> following message when I try to watch an avi file encoded with xvid:
>>
>> No suitable decoder module:
>> VLC does not support the audio or video format "XVID". Unfortunately
>> there is no way for you to fix this.
>>
>> Recompiling vlc, xvid, and numerous other things didn't help. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> I have found the problem, it's zlib. In r206708-9 delphij updated zlib
> to version 1.2.4.3 and did some magic with the symbols. I just regressed
> my system to r206707 and now the same vlc does xvid just fine.
>
> When I booted the new -current yesterday (after the libz changes) I had
> to rebuild and reinstall openbox and libxml2 because the latter had some
> sort of unresolved symbol problem related to libz. When I regressed the
> system today and had to do the same thing I got this error:
> /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so: undefined reference to `gzopen at ZLIB_1.2.4.0'
>
> (Note, this libxml2 that generated this error was compiled against the
> NEW libz, so it's not the error that I was seeing previously.)
>
> In looking over the things in /usr/lib that may be related I see that
> gpac-libgpac-0.4.5_4,1 has the gzopen symbol, and I did not recompile
> that when I was trying to get vlc to work last night so it may be the
> magic bullet.
>
> My plan at this point is to re-upgrade to the latest -current, record
> the error I get from libxml2 when recompiling openbox, and then try
> recompiling stuff until I find the one that does the trick. Worst case
> scenario I do 'portmaster -f vlc' but that constitutes 175 ports, which
> would take a while.

    Yeah... that's what I thought it was. vlc does some interesting
work initializing codecs I think where it disguises runtime linker
issues, etc with pieces that tie into vlc. Not really happy about
that, but after the issue with zlib was identified 2~3 weeks ago, it
was easy to clean up...
    The other issues with zlib are pretty well known, and the overall
upgrade as I and others mentioned a few weeks back is large as it's
use is pervasive in 3rd party software.
HTH,
-Garrett