Trivial PR, fix package-noinstall

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 10:18:45 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de> wrote:
> This morning I took a look at my outstanding PRs. There are
> is a ports PR I consider old and trivial:
>
> This one fixes a bug in the package-noinstall target. wxs told
> me that he prefers my proposed fix over his own:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/144164

This suggested fix completely breaks pkg_creates operation because it
does a chdir(2) prior to package creation (from
.../usr.sbin/pkg_install/create/perform.c:555):

    if (chdir(log_dir) == FAIL) {
        warnx("can't change directory to '%s'!", log_dir);
        return FALSE;
    }

The goal is to expand use of the install and deinstall scripts, not
break them in ports; this would be counterproductive to what we want
to do.

FWIW, I've thought this over and and user modifiable scripts should
not be in packages; they should instead be example files which don't
conflict with real configuration files. This is already the case for
several ports, but not all ports. If we did this, it would solve the
problem we've had with ports removing or overwriting user config files
simply and easily. I wonder if other folks agree with me or not.

Thanks,
-Garrett