virtualbox-ose-3.1.6_2 font issue with X forwarding

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 5 08:27:03 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I installed Virtual Box 3.1.6 from yesterday's ports tree on my amd64
8-STABLE home server. Everything went fine, but when I X forwarded
"VirtualBox" to my desktop PC, the fonts were completely broken, and all
the places where characters should have been were small boxes.

After installing the same port on my desktop and finding that it worked
just fine, I suspected a lack of fonts installed on the server.  Sure
enough, installing the "x11-fonts/xorg-fonts" meta package resolved the
issue and now it looks great.

Might I suggest adding a dependency on "x11-fonts/xorg-fonts" or one of
its appropriate children packages? People that want to X forward from a
headless machine that doesn't have a full X.org install would be grateful!

My sincere thanks go to those responsible for getting Virtual Box
working on FreeBSD - I'm very much looking forward to taking it for a
spin in the coming days.

Cheers,
Lawrence