FreeBSD Ports: www/nginx and www/rubygem-passenger

Sergey A. Osokin osa at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 1 04:05:18 UTC 2010

Hi, Brad.

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:51:51PM +1100, Brad Rushworth wrote:

> I just wanted to report that:
>
> www/rubygem-passenger is version 2.2.9
>
> www/nginx 0.7.65 with PASSENGER_MODULE=on has passenger at 2.2.11
>
> When I installed both they worked together, but I didn't think it was
> safe to run them together. The server headers showed X-Powered-By: as
> 2.2.9 whereas the Server: was 2.2.11.
>
> The problem seems to be that the www/nginx doesn't install passenger
> like I'm guessing it should?

1. www/nginx (as well as www/nginx-devel) doesn't install passenger
2. www/nginx (as well as www/nginx-devel) compiles with support for
   passenger, because no other way (i.e. binary modules support) to
   work with third-party modules.

> I didn't think I would have to install
> www/rubygem-passenger as well? But maybe I'm wrong.

You should install www/rubygem-passenger (for passenger) and
web-server (www/nginx) for passenger support.

> For some reason, I couldn't install by using:
> gem install passenger
> It would just sit idle for ages.
>
> Anyway, I tweaked the www/rubygem-passenger port to 2.2.11 and installed
> it that way.

Correct, patch for upgrade from 2.2.9 to 2.2.11 is trivial.

> It all seems to be working now.

OK.

> Could the maintainer update www/rubygem-passenger to 2.2.11?

Jacob, could you please send-pr with patch, Cc: to me, I'll commit
changes ASAP.

--
Sergey A. Osokin
osa at FreeBSD.ORG