Flow-tools and Flow-tools-ng - Flow-Capture - supposed to be memory leak - patch

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 27 12:11:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:04:46 +0300
Zvezdelin Vladov <zvladov at gmail.com> mentioned:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> Please, publish in the official ports build patch system, the patch
> bellow for the problem
> that manifest itself only on the amd64 platform, and it is one and the
> same for both the
> flow-tools and flow-tools-ng - i.e. flow-capture eats all of the RAM
> and SWAP of the
> machine, until killed by the kernel.
>
> The problem itself is in the built-in mechanism in the flow-tools,(
> instead of using the
> macros in the FreeBSD,) to read msg structures and control-information
> from recvmsg
> calls.
>
> I've managed to patch myself the source, but my patch is ugly one, and
> consist of
> just commenting out the usage of the hack-in tools to read msg structures of the
> original source (but worked).
>
> The patch I am pasting here is from the author, and concerns the same problem.
> It looks much better than mine, and If I've new about it, I would be
> spending 4 days
> debugging....;-(

Hello, Zvezdelin!

Can you elaborate a bit more on the patch contents?  I'm not entirely sure
what it does and furthermore flow-tools source code does not contain any
references to the CMSG_XXX macros, so it is effectively a no-op for
net/flow-tools.  It might work for flow-tools-ng though.

It'd be helpful to have a small description of what these changes does,
so it will be possible to elaborate the same fix for net/flow-tools.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE