lsof won't build

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Sep 20 20:29:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 03:15:32PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert writes:
>
> >  It seems to me (fairly short investigation) that it uses kernel
> >  structures that aren't in /usr/include.  That means it must be
> >  looking in /usr/src/sys.  If those sources don't match the
> >  installed kernel exactly, that typically won't be a problem,
> >  because kernel interfaces are intended to not change within a
> >  major-number release.
>
> 	If you say so.  My recent experience started with lsof compiled
> under stock 8.0 beta 4, which was was incompatible with some change
> that happened around the branch of 9.0 CURRENT.  And there's nothing
> in {src, ports}/UPDATING which would suggest the need for a change.

But that is not within a major-number release.  8.0 is still not released
and from a compatibility view should still be considered as -CURRENT, and
9.0-CURRENT is, well, -CURRENT.  In -CURRENT non-compatible changes do
happen from time to time, and is often not mentioned in UPDATING, because
people running -CURRENT are not supposed to need such reminders.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se