lsof won't build

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Sat Sep 19 18:16:50 UTC 2009

--On September 19, 2009 1:58:32 PM -0400 Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com>
wrote:

> Paul Schmehl writes:
>
>>  I'm getting this error when trying to install sysutils/lsof:
>>
>>  /usr/src/sys/vm/vm.h:64:24: error: machine/vm.h: No such file or
>>  directory
>>
>>  Shouldn't machine be some sort of macro that points at the ARCH
>>  of the system lsof is being installed on?
>
> 	Having experienced this recently:
> 	The usual casue of this is the installed kernel(+world ??)
> being out of sync with the contents of /usr/src.
> 	The solution is to rebuild/reinstall kernel(+world ??).
> 	Perosnally I think it's bad programming also ... but then I'm
> not the one writing the code.

That doesn't make sense to me.  vm.h is a src file.  My src files are
updated daily.  Even if I rebuilt the kernel (this one has been recompiled
twelve times already), the src files wouldn't change.  The build error is
complaining about not being able to find the header file for (I'm
assuming) my architecture, not for some binary compiled during the kernel
build.

Are you saying you rebuilt kernel and lsof built fine afterwards?

Paul Schmehl, If it isn't already
obvious, my opinions are my own
and not those of my employer.