[HEADSUP]: Ports feature freeze now enforced

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 15 09:51:57 UTC 2009

As an experiment, there will not be a complete ports freeze ahead of the
release of 8.0.  To ensure that the tree is kept in a stable condition,
we do need to have more discipline about the feature freeze we are
currently using.  To achieve this, I have added a new tag to the commit
log Feature safe: which needs to be set to yes explicitly for each
commit.  While this is is tedious, it does mean that commits will be
allowed without prior explicit approval from portmgr.  Portmgr is still
working on a written set of rules for what is and isn't allowed during a
feature freeze, so please use common sense for now, and try to err on
the side of caution and contact portmgr when in any doubt.  Sweeping
commits touching a large number of ports, shared library updates affect
more than a trivial number of ports, you get the picture; anything that
would require a rebuild of more than a trivial amount of ports is not
allowed without prior approval from portmgr.  With the release only a
few weeks off, we cannot afford any major mishaps, so be conservative.

The feature freeze is enforced from right now and current plan is to tag
the tree after RC1 is released.  There will be a short freeze while the
tag is processed, and after that we will proceed with the ports slush as
usual.

Please consider your commits in this light and help make this experiment
a success so we can avoid long freezes for future releases.

-erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                   http://droso.org
Prediction is very difficult