FreeBSD Port: qtcreator-1.2.1: Not installable

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Oct 28 19:03:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 02:51:29PM +0100, Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Alexey Shuvaev
> <shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> > The base system (more or less what consists a RELEASE) and ports are
> > mostly independent of each other. Normal FreeBSD user will have some
> > RELEASE (say 7.2R) and up-to-date version of ports. There is no
> > separate STABLE or CURRENT versions of ports, there is only one.
> > (Well, there are marcuscom and area51 for testing new gnome and kde
> > releases, respectively, but you don't need to mess with them).
>
> Ok, thanks alot for shedding some light here. I am not really into
> FreeBSD but long term Linux user, so consider me being a noob here
> ;-).
>
> > FreeBSD 7 will be ok too. You can add some phrase like
> > "Before the software can be built, the following ports/packages
> > have to be installed:
> > devel/qtcreator
> > audio/taglib
> > devel/glib20
> > audio/sox
> > audio/libmad
> > security/libmcrypt.
> > Note that ports tree newer than 7 May 2009 is needed to build qtcreator."
> >
> > This is FreeBSD-user friendly.
>
> Thanks alot, I will put into our wiki like this. Is there actually a
> command to upgrade the ports tree, so that I can use the latest ports
> with FreeBSD 7.2? What would be the proper instructions to install the
> necessary ports, I want to try compiling our software on FreeBSD.

See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
It covers pretty much of what you want.
You can also get better overview by going up one level:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

> BTW: Whom should I contact to get our project into the ports? I guess
> a fully fledged MiniDisc transfer software could be interesting for
> alot of FreeBSD users as well ;-).

Mmmm... Well, I think the best bet is yourself! The MAINTAINER variable
in ports' Makefiles points to the person responsible for the given port.
Everybody can become FreeBSD port maintainer. If you search for my
email address at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
in 'maintainer' category you'll find the ports I'm maintaining.

Creating FreeBSD port is not so difficult. And your companions here
are
1) Porter's Handbook:
   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook
2) Other ports as examples and
3) this mailing list if you have some specific problems.

However you'll find that it is better to roll some distribution
of your software to use it in the port (so to be possible to download
tarball with sources and not to use git directly).

Good luck!
Alexey.