policy-weight -spawn $csock error after power out reboot

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Oct 19 22:31:42 UTC 2009

--On Saturday, October 17, 2009 05:15:30 -0500 David Southwell
<david at vizion2000.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> FreeBSD dns1.vizion2000.net 7.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Thu Aug
> 20 12:54:34 BST 2009
> david at dns1.vizion2000.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64 [on intel quad]
>
> Following an abrupt power system failure and a system reboot this server now
> gets this error in maillog:
>
>   postfix/policyd-weight[9622]: warning: cache_query: $csock couln't be
> created: connect: No such file or directory, calling spawn_cache()
>
> No other problems. Just in case it was due to a retained. pid I deleted the
> .pid file followed by a normal shutdown and reboot - but am still getting the
> same problem.
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance

It doesn't look like anyone has answered this.  That warning message is normal
to see at startup but should not persist.

The solution is to rm -fr /tmp/.policyd-weight, then restart policyd-weight.
Policyd-weight will then recreate that dir and recreate its socket as well as
the other files and dirs that go there.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst