TomTom GPS

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Tue Oct 13 13:36:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 03:33:19PM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi Miguel
> > Hi Julian and David,
> > > I could a co-operate with Miguel F on debug probes etc if he wants
> > > ( though I dont want to wipe & destroy my GPS, theyre too useful :-)
> >
> > I can assure you that I don't know of any GPS destroyed by GPSMan
> > since its first version back in 1998!
>
> Sorry, I didnt mean to imply anything there, I was more thinking of
> being cautious on the option of completely zapping the base TomTom
> software & installing a Linux based replacement (which I'd heard
> is also possible).

The base system is linux based (i know, i wrote some of their device
drivers). Anyway, as long as you don't zap the bootloader and make a
backup of your tomtom, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

> 	"If you want to build your own software to run on the TomTom
> 	GO, RIDER or ONE devices, and need information or suggestions
> 	on how to do so, we suggest taking a look at the independent
> 	OpenTom project, on its website: http://www.opentom.org/."
>
> Lots for tomtom owners to read at http://www.opentom.org Inc eg
> 	http://www.opentom.org/Hardware_USB
> Probably someone has already cracked the protocol.
> probably no need to intercept TomTom software running on XP & split
> & log it to BSD USB ports (like UPS NUT project did on some USB UPSs)

The opentom stuff is pretty old btw, going way back to the first models
of the tomtom. I don't know if they ever did anything with tomtom home,
which basically has nothing to do with the linux kernel iirc (it has
been a while since i worked for them).

Gr,

Koen