security/pam_pwdfile not working anymore?

Marin Atanasov dnaeon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 20:43:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

I was doing some tests with vsftpd today and found out that
security/pam_pwdfile is not working anymore as it was in the previous
versions.
Just to mention some months ago I was able to install and configure vsftpd
using pam_pwdfile to authenticate users.

Now that I installed vsftpd again and installed security/pam_pwdfile I am no
longer able to authenticate users with it.

This is the error from /var/log/messages when I try to authenticate with a
legal user for vsftpd:

Oct  2 20:32:39 72-vbox vsftpd: in openpam_load_module(): no
/usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so found

Although:

72-vbox# ls -l /usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  7124 Oct  2 23:41 /usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so

And:

72-vbox# cat /etc/pam.d/vsftpd
auth required /usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so pwdfile /etc/vsftpd_login.db
account required /usr/lib/pam_permit.so

Any ideas about this issue?

Regards,
Marin