FreeBSD Port: gcc-4.4.3.20091117

Loren James Rittle rittle at latour.labs.mot.com
Mon Nov 30 20:54:19 UTC 2009

In article <alpine.LSU.1.99.0911221528550.20270 at acrux.dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, Gerald Pfeifer<gerald at pfeifer.com> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Douglas Thrift wrote:
>> I'm currently working with a friend on a new project
>> (http://www.cycript.org/) that uses Objective-C++ for its bindings to
>> GNUstep. Would it be possible to add a knob or something to the gcc
>> ports to enable Objective-C++ support?

> The best approach would be checking with upstream why Objective-C (and
> Objective-C++) are not enabled by default on FreeBSD, which I believe
> is a change from earlier versions.  Loren, do you know?

> In general, I'd be open to add something to the lang/gcc45 (preferred
> initially) and lang(gcc44 ports if you'd like to suggest a patch, Douglas.

> Gerald

Hello,

I just returned to the office (and related e-mail).

Objective-C is enabled by default for FreeBSD in the FSF source
release.  It has been for as long as I can remember.

It is my understanding that Objective-C++ is not enabled by default
for any platform.  I do not know if it even builds for FreeBSD.

According to gcc/objcp/config-lang.in :

# Per GCC Steering Committee.
build_by_default="no"

Therefore either:

(1) You need to manually configure with --enable-languages=obj-c++

(which I think could be enabled by a FreeBSD port collection knob with
a default of "no" to honor the request of the GCC Steering Committee)

(2) Contact a member of the GCC Steering Committee to understand why
the default is as such and whether an OS port collection may override
the default.

Sorry, I don't know the history here.

Regards,
Loren