Newbie question about additional documentation

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 06:26:55 UTC 2009

dave wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 22:20 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> Correct.  In fact, it possibly means the LICENSE ends up in the plist
>> twice, which is almost as bad as it not being mentioned at all.
>
> Ok, I think I'm starting to get a hang of this. Personally, I prefer the
> static pkg-plist.
>
> There's one last minor detail, though. The where's the final packing
> list located? Is it in /var/db/pkg/${DISTNAME}?

While you're building the port, the packing list is assembled as
${WRKDIR}/PLIST where ${WRKDIR} is by default /usr/ports/foo/bar/work/
although it's not uncommon to locate it somewhere else by modifying
$WRKDIRPREFIX.

Once installed the PLIST is turned into /var/db/pkg/${DISTNAME}/+CONTENTS
which adds information about the ports this one depends on, plus the
md5 sumes of all of the installed files.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW