RFC: svn for make fetch

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 00:43:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually, I *had* a patch that got the source from svn, tarred it
>> and checksummed it, with little modification to the do-fetch target
>> and abusing FETCH_* variables.
>> The unsolvable problem I ran in to, is that svn doesn't adjust
>> timestamps for directories on export, so the checksum for the tar
>> was always different. Hacking svn export was outside my timeframe
>> and hacking tar to grow an option that sets all created dirs to
>> a fixed time stamp, seemed too hackish, so I let it go.
>
> Creating deterministic tars (ignoring "metadeta") sounds like it
> should be a solved problem by now. If it isn't then I will have to
> make it my next project ;)

Instead of creating tar files, create zip files and then run them
through torrentzip

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/archivers/torrentzip/

Torrentzip resets the date/time on the files and directories in the
zip archive so that the checksum of the file will match, no matter who
builds the zip file using the same set of files.

Scot