remove BUILD_DEPENDS automatically after install

Sandra Kachelmann s.kachelmann at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 16 11:12:31 UTC 2009

(portmaster author cc:ed)

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013 at student.uu.se> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:44:04PM +0100, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
>> Is there a reason why BUILD_DEPENDS aren't being removed after a port
>> has been installed and if no other installed port depends on it?
>
> How do you know that the user does not want that port installed?
> And what if the user will install 20 other ports afterwards - all of which
> is that same port as a BUILD_DEPENDS - should that port be
> installed/deinstalled each and every time?

It would be nice if this was configurable. Maybe it could be even
integrated into portupgrade or portmaster. If such a port is installed
directly it could get a package entry DIRECT_INSTALLED=yes in
/var/db/pkg/.. or something (there is probably a better way to do
this).

> (Personally I would be *very* annoyed if, for example, libtool or
> automake/autoconf would be reinstalled every time I installed a port which
> had one of them as a build-time dependency.  There are *lots* of ports which
> have one of them in BUILD_DEPENDS, but few if any that has them as
> RUN_DEPENDS.)

Even nicer if execptions would be configurable. There are loads of
ports that install BUILD_DEPENDS that are never used again. cvsup for
instance pulls in a gigantic tree of esoteric ports I can't even
pronounce. Sure I could install the package, take cvsup-without-gui or
even use portsnap but this is not the point here.

Sandra