Portmaster with package support ready for beta testing

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Nov 9 13:37:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 02:21:06PM +0100, Michel Talon wrote:
> For the above reasons i think that using precompiled packages should be
> restricted to people who don't mess with the standard settings. When you
> install some Debian packages you take them as is, and things generally
> work because mostly everybody use the same packages which are well
> tested and coherent. If, on your machine, you want to use a specially
> configured program, you download the sources and compile it. But you
> take care yourself of the upgrades of this program. I think that a
> similar behaviour should be viable on FreeBSD. If you extensively
> modify the configuration of a large number of ports, you cannot expect
> a packages-based upgrade to work. In this case the only reasonable way
> is to upgrade from source.

In fairness, while I believe that the above analysis is reasonable if
one confines the packages in question to those built outside the control
of the one changing configurations, one of the reasons I have been
interested in "package" support for portmaster is precisely so I could
build packages of ports that I had configured for my environment, then
merely install (vs. "build") them on other ("target") machines.

Rebuilding (say) firefox3 on each machine where I want that
configuration of firefox3 seems ... rather less than ideal. :-}  I
should be able to build the ports as I choose to configure them, create
packages, and install those packages on the various target machines.
Later, when the port gets updated, I'd want to use portmaster to update
the port on one machine, build a package for it, then on other machines,
use my package to update the port on other machines when I run
portmaster on those machines.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.