Portmaster with package support ready for beta testing

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Nov 9 11:05:50 UTC 2009

Doug Barton wrote:
> Michel Talon wrote:
>> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>>> I take a quick look at the code and I have one question. Can you explain
>>> way --no-deps and --force are used for pkg_add?
>>

>> I can only venture an explanation. Once you have computed a good order
>> for upgrading via packages, you cannot accept that pkg_add ruins your
>> computation by doing things on its own. In principle you have a
>> global view of the problem, which is better than the local view embedded
>> in each package. Hence forcing pkg_add is the only sane way.
>
> Very elegantly stated. :)
>
> This is all subject to change of course based on refinement from
> experience, but this usage matches the way that ports are installed in
> the well-traveled port building code.

Does it mean that one needs ports tree or provide custom INDEX in case
of custom packages with non default options (different dependencies) to
compute order od dependencies?
(AFAIK plain pkg_add works without ports tree and INDEX, that's why I am
asking)

It is related to my idea of extending packages with more metadata, for
example OS version + arch, used build options (WITH_ / WITHOUT_ etc.) so
one can easily determine "how this package was built". But it seems as
not so easy task to me, as I don't know how to get all the options (from
/etc/make.conf, environment variables, /var/db/ports, commandline...)
and record them to file in useful way.
It can be useful in case where I have some backup of packages from many
machines, but have not the original environment, where packages were
built etc.

Miroslav Lachman