[Patch] Proposal: USE_GNU89 switch

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Sat May 30 14:21:54 UTC 2009

* Gabor Kovesdan <gabor at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> I don't think it's a good idea. This knob is completely superfluous and
> thus should be avoided. One can just add -std to CFLAGS from a port
> Makefile. Forced build are also possible without this stuff, you can set
> this in /etc/make.conf.

So how can we be sure all C compilers implement this switch? In
bsd.port.mk I see some traces of ICC support. Using this approach it
would also be possible to remap certain C standards to different
compilers.

Really, I really don't care how it's done, whether it's a flag or added
to the compiler flags directly. I'm just saying adding it to CFLAGS
directly sounds like a very bad idea. Adding it to /etc/make.conf sounds
even worse, because it probably only confuses (autoconf) scripts that
try to figure out a way to make the compiler speak C99.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/