pkg_add errors

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 27 23:01:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 01:20:17 +0400
Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

 [ .. ]

> > My preference would be to rely on 'pkg_info -g', but that would
> > require all committers to run extensive checks before committing
> > changes to the ports tree. Miwi has always done this and more than
> > once revealed PLIST problems of my ports to me. But I wonder whether
> > it is really sensible to ask committers to test everything on a
> > Tinderbox (preferably on several platforms) before committing
> > changes to the ports tree.

We do encourage this. The "preferably on several platforms" is
problematic due to available resources we each have.

> Hm, ports with broken PLISTS are, well, broken. And should be fixed
> or marked BROKEN.

And they are. I'm actively marking them broken based on QAT. I can't do
it instantly since some people require patting on the head ...

> I was sure that the FreeBSD packaging cluster does not produce
> packages with broken plists (i.e. the package is not created). Is
> that wrong?

No, plist problems are hard errors.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B