Make package-recursive problem

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at spoerlein.net
Sun May 24 15:21:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, 22.05.2009 at 12:17:44 -0400, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've started noticing more and more that packages I build are missing files
> after they are rebuilt.  I've tested this time and time again, and seem to
> be able to show that about 10 ports (gettext, apache, net-snmp, some php
> modules, etc.) are built correctly the first time, but when later
> re-packaged, do not contain all the files they need.
> [...]

I have no clue as to what is causing this, but this is probably the
reason why people use the tinderbox or roll their own system to build
consistent packages.

I have rolled my own, too. Consisting of a Makefile and a couple of
scripts. It gathers all missing packages to build, uses a common
make.conf and clean system for the compile, starts by building the leaf
packages first.

I never came around to using ZFS + clones for the package creation,
which would have cut the time to setup the required base for each build
significantly.

Another approach had even the package dependency inside a Makefile, so
rebuilding the gettext package would trigger all dependent packages to
get rebuilt too (I haven't tackled the problem of *reinstalling* them on
the target hosts, though)

You see, everybody serious about using packages on a farm should create
his own system :)  It's not too hard anyway.

Cheers,
Ulrich Spörlein
--
http://www.dubistterrorist.de/