My plan to fix the versioning for lang/gcc ports

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 19 21:07:44 UTC 2009

On May 19, 2009, at 07:57 , Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Currently we have versions of the following
>
>  PORTVERSION=  4.3.4
>  PORTREVISION= 20090517
>
> in the lang/gcc ports, where 20090517 is the date of a snapshot
> of GCC 4.3.4.  This has some obvious problems when one needs a
> PORTREVISION bump, so I am planning to change the versioning to
>
>  PORTVERSION=  4.3.4.20090517

Rather than going that way, why not take a leaf out of "standard"
practice for DNS SOA serial numbers, and go with:

	PORTVERSION=  4.3.4
	PORTREVISION= ${SNAPDATE}${SNAPREVISION}

	SNAPDATE=     20090517
	SNAPREVISION= 00

Probably a lot less work in the long run.

-aDe