phpMyAdmin - usefulness of mysql dependency

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon May 18 22:01:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

as you are listed as maintainer of this port, I have a question...

Does it really have any sense to have mysql-client as dependency in case
of WITHOUT_PHP_DEPENDS=yes defined?

Then it results in this dependency:

~/# pkg_info -rR phpMyAdmin-3.1.5
Information for phpMyAdmin-3.1.5:

Depends on:
Dependency: mysql-client-5.0.81

And it seems useless to me. I expect to use mysql-client as dependency
only in case where php5-mysql or php5-mysqli is listed as dependency.
Then these PHP extensions will require mysql-client as their own
dependency. Or am I wrong?

(what I need is some knob to install PHP webapplications, like
phpMyAdmin in this case, without any recorded dependencies, as I would
like to maintain servervices applications separately)

Miroslav Lachman