devel/boost: what's proper shared library version?

Alexander Churanov alexanderchuranov at gmail.com
Thu May 14 18:14:28 UTC 2009

Jeremy,

There is no binary compatibility for boost libraries at all. To be
precise, they say "this may work for some cases", but boost folks are
intentionally not examining if such a compatibility exists between
releases. Of course, they provide no warranty of any kind. I've just
dropped a message to boost and they confirmed that there is no
compatibility between releases.

So then, my question was not about binary compatibility. I was sure it
does not exist. And yes, we need to rebuild all ports that depend on
boost each time the libraries are updated.

The question is: "how correctly assign versions to shared libraries from boost?"

I suggest using boost release version, because this is most clear and
obvious way. It's supported by boost out-of-box. The only concern is
whether library names like libboost_date_time.so.1.39.0 are acceptable
for FreeBSD.

Alexander Churanov,
maintainer of devel/boost