split xcbgen from xcb-proto

Ashish SHUKLA wahjava at gmail.com
Fri May 8 07:38:18 UTC 2009

Andriy Gapon writes:

> It seems that it is a kind of bloating to require python with X (even if only a
> small portion of it is needed). Unfortunately upstream guys maintain xcb-proto and
> xcbgen in the same distribution. But a trend among packgers seem to be to split
> these two into separate packages. I wonder if anybody is working on the same for
> our ports.

I don't think splitting into two ports will be a good idea. Instead I
recommend using the PYTHON knob to install python stuff if user requires
it.

> From the point of view of the port itself it seems to be as easy building only one
> subdirectory of the project, e.g.:
> http://cvsweb.se.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/x11/xcb-proto/patches/patch-ae?rev=1.1

> But it seems to be a more challenging task to decide which "higher level" ports
> should depend on xcb-proto alone and which need xcbgen too.

Yes, thats a challenging task. If more people require this, then I can
add a PYTHON option to the xcb-proto to build/skip python related stuff in
xcb-proto package.

--
Ashish SHUKLA