xcb-util 0.3.4 breaks awesome

Josh Rickmar joshua_rickmar at eumx.net
Thu May 7 22:40:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:

> * Josh Rickmar (joshua_rickmar at eumx.net) wrote:
>
> That's quite complicated problem actually - xcb-util update has
> broken awesome; we could update awesome to 3.3-rc1, but it requires
> startup-notification 0.10 (which likely requires new xcb-util as
> well).
>
> Thus we'll likely have to wait for s-n 0.10 and consider awesome
> broken for now. Meanwhile, awesome users are recommended to not
> upgrade from/downgrade to xcb-util 0.3.3.
>
> This is really our fault as there should've been more testing and
> coordination with this update.

OK.  I've known about this break for quite some time now as there have
been many Linux users who had this same problem.  In case of something
like this in the future, should I send a message to the maintainer
telling him/her about the potential break?

Also, to anyone who hasn't updated their xcb-util port yet, here's what
I did to prevent tools like portmaster from installing the newer
version:

# touch /var/db/pkg/xcb-util-0.3.3/+IGNOREME

Now in portmaster, I get the following message when using -a to update
all my ports:

===>>> Launching child to update xcb-util-0.3.3 to xcb-util-0.3.4

===>>> xcb-util-0.3.3 has an +IGNOREME file

===>>> Update anyway? [n]

--
IRC nick: jrick
Jabber: jrick at jabber.org