why was XFree86 dropped for ports?

matt donovan kitchetech at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:42:11 PDT 2009

<snip>

> I don't know git anywhere's near as well as I know cvs, but it seems to me
> that
> xorg doesn't have any TAGS so you can't ask for a particular release, isn't
> that
> true?  I think that is probably a comment on git, not Xorg.  I guess,
> seeing
> that there's about 1/4 the amount of work involved in updating xFree86
> versus
> Xorg, I didn't expect that it was a work thing.  Finally, I really don't
> like
> the fact that Xorg comes in all of those little packages, so that without
> our
> ports system, it might be prohibitively difficult to assemble Xorg.  Like
> it
> would be, I suppose, for KDE.  I *like* how you can deal with XFree86 as
> one
> item.  If there was some way to get KDE as one compileable tarball, that
> would
> be a good thing also.
>
> <snip>

Xorg doesn't fully need to be recompiled it was one giant package until they
decided it would be easier for developers to break up the system to smaller
ones. For instance lets say x-server 1.6 came out called xorg 7.5 well you
will only have to recompile x-server really.

Also I went by Xfree86 webpage which states last stable release is from
December 2008 before that it was Aug. 2007