ansi colors in ports

Lars Eighner portsuser at larseighner.com
Tue Mar 31 15:29:06 PDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:

> Why does freebsd ports not use ansi colors? This would be so nice :-)
> Eg. ECHO_MSG would be so much more visible within the compilation
> soup. Gentoo uses colors too!

In fact, some ports do use ansi color for some things.  It pretty much
depends upon the source.  Many applications are written to compile in a
variety of environments, including those in which compiling from an
ansi-capable terminal is not guaranteed.  I think porters should do as
little to the source as possible, and that maintaining other applications
would be a better use of their time than forcing pretty-pretty on a compile
that should run only once.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html