ansi colors in ports

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:45:21 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Sandra Kachelmann
<s.kachelmann at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Why does freebsd ports not use ansi colors? This would be so nice :-)

Perhaps because it is unneccessary?
IMHO, I prefer the ports infrastructure to be functional, rather than
"nice looking" any day.

> Eg. ECHO_MSG would be so much more visible within the compilation
> soup. Gentoo uses colors too!

Well, if we start using colors as indicators instead of text, how
about blind people then?
Are we just going to break things for people just because they have
bad eyesight?

I sure hope not.

Those who need to color their output can use tools to do that, like
colortail[1].