HEADS UP multi processor compilations and packages

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 25 01:42:39 PDT 2009

perryh at pluto.rain.com píše v st 25. 03. 2009 v 00:23 -0700:
> Pav Lucistnik <pav at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Brian Whalen p??e v ?t 24. 03. 2009 v 12:08 -0700:
> > > On a related topic, I wonder what the cost would be of acquiring
> > > enough hardware so that the probability of actually getting a
> > > package with portupgrade -aP would go up substantially ...
> >
> > It's more a question of creating a new delivery platform, because
> > the currently used ftp mirrorring is useless for packages. The
> > whole process of synchronizing from upstream server introduces
> > _days_ of delay into the process,
>
> presumably addressable by adding bandwidth, which would need to
> be included in "the cost ... of acquiring enough hardware ..."

Bandwidth is okay, but rsync is just too slow. Serial synchronization on
this amount of data does not work feasibly.

> > and there is no guarantee that you don't catch an upload in
> > progress, which renders whole mirror useless for a time period.
>
> I would have thought that judicious use of snapshots could avoid
> problems with in-progress updates.

Yes, but current ftp mirrors does not have enough space to hold several
snapshots of same package set. Thus, the need for new platform.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

See file. Click file. Get file.