HEADS UP multi processor compilations and packages

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 24 12:37:57 PDT 2009

Brian Whalen píše v út 24. 03. 2009 v 12:08 -0700:
> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> > Two days ago, I have checked in probably most requested feature of last
> > few years. Ports framework now systematically supports building ports on
> > multiple processing cores. It is achieved by passing -jX flag to make(1)
> > running on vendor code. Of course not all ports handle this well,
> > experimental run on pointyhat with this flag globally enabled turned up
> > shy of 400 failures. Because of that, the feature was designed as a
> > whitelist. Individual ports need to be enabled, and indeed, fellow
> > developers took on and already started adding required declarations to
> > popular ports like Firefox and others.
> >

> On a related topic, I wonder what the cost would be of acquiring enough
> hardware so that  the probability of actually getting a package with
> portupgrade -aP would go up substantially.  I imagine the time required
> for the build servers to build packages with the above mod would go down
> substantially.

It's more a question of creating a new delivery platform, because the
currently used ftp mirrorring is useless for packages. The whole process
of synchronizing from upstream server introduces _days_ of delay into
the process, and there is no guarantee that you don't catch an upload in
progress, which renders whole mirror useless for a time period.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>