HEADS UP multi processor compilations for everyone

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 24 08:00:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 03:04:41PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> > Two days ago, I have checked in probably most requested feature of last
> > few years. Ports framework now systematically supports building ports on
> > multiple processing cores. It is achieved by passing -jX flag to make(1)
> > running on vendor code.
>
> Thanks for this very useful addition!
>
> To clarify: this is about making individual ports in parallel (make -j
> on each), not building multiple ports in parallel?

Correct.  The latter was being worked on in last years SoC.  The author
of that (David Forsythe) recently posted something about it.  The
subject of his post is "Parallel builds, PKG_DBDIR locks".

-- WXS