FreeBSD Port: syslinux-3.72

Cynthia Flynn 1cynthia2flynn3 at telus.net
Tue Mar 17 13:43:47 PDT 2009

I would like to draw your attention to this posting in regards to the
syslinux FreeBSD port:

   http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2009-March/011749.html

FWIW, that posting belongs to this thread:

   http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2009-February/011548.html

Of more importance is H. Peter Anvin's private response to me in which
he said this:

   "Okay, that sounds like the FreeBSD port stuff pull in way too
    many things that aren't obligatory.  Python is only used by one
    small contrib script that isn't relevant to 99% of all users
    (pretty much only used by large-site system administrators); the
    X libraries I have no clue where they even come into the picture!

    Sounds like the FreeBSD ports people either need to factor the
    package differently, or suppress some of their dependencies".

syslinux is a powerful tool, but its FreeBSD port is just too bloated.
And given GRUB's inability to boot logical partitions, this means that a
  Linux-free FreeBSD production environment isn't possible for us. Not
the end of the world, I know, but it would be great if a future version
of the syslinux port were cleaned up to require only the truly necessary
dependencies and preferably without the horrible mtools package.

Cynthia