shells/bash-4.0 port horribly broken

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Thu Mar 12 07:40:55 PDT 2009

,--- You/Jerry (Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:30:15 -0400) ----*
| I am having the exact same problem. Several of my scripts are now
| failing. I have modified a few with the older "`" tic method to make
| them work; however, I feel that the easiest thing would be to simply
| revert to Bash-3.
|
| Was this some sort of 'improvement' by the Bash developers, or is it
| an un-squashed bug?

Breaking the $(command) substitution would be catastrophic and Bash
4.0 documentation claims support for it:

    http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashref.html

    Bash Reference Manual

    This text is a brief description of the features that are present in
    the Bash shell (version 4.0, 29 December 2008).

    This is Edition 4.0, last updated 29 December 2008, of The GNU Bash
    Reference Manual, for Bash, Version 4.0.

    3.5.4 Command Substitution

    Command substitution allows the output of a command to replace the
    command itself. Command substitution occurs when a command is enclosed
    as follows:  	$(command)

    or  		`command`

    Bash performs the expansion by executing command and replacing the
    command substitution with the standard output of the command, with any
    trailing newlines deleted. Embedded newlines are not deleted, but they
    may be removed during word splitting. The command substitution $(cat
    file) can be replaced by the equivalent but faster $(< file).

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --

/*
 * Every time I lose weight, it finds me again!
 */