shells/bash-4.0 port horribly broken

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 07:30:19 PDT 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:48:09 +0100
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de> wrote:

>>> Update: After a recent ports tree update bash now builds correctly
>>> here.
>>
>> The update still remains broken:
>>
>> [fooman at portjail ~]$ pkg_info
>> bash-static-4.0.10_1 The GNU Project's Bourne Again SHell
>>
>> [root at portjail ~]$ set -x
>> [root at portjail ~]$ echo $(uname)
>> -bash: command substitution: line 25: syntax error near unexpected
>> token `)'
>> -bash: command substitution: line 25: `uname)'
>
>I also find this rather annoying.  I believe that a rather large
>percentage of people use bash as their default shell, so moving from
>3.2 to 4.0 should have been preceded by a headsup or an entry in
>UPDATING.

I am having the exact same problem. Several of my scripts are now
failing. I have modified a few with the older "`" tic method to make
them work; however, I feel that the easiest thing would be to simply
revert to Bash-3.

Was this some sort of 'improvement' by the Bash developers, or is it an
un-squashed bug?

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com