Xfce 4.6 - what changes are needed?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Mar 4 22:03:43 PST 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> Warren Block wrote:
>
>> What can I do to get the menu editor back?
>
> Hm sorry, but what exactly was or is the menu editor?

It was an option under the Settings menu.  Didn't appear in the Settings
Manager, just the in the menu.  Allowed editing the menus.

>> Thunar no longer seems to mount removable media; thunar-volman-plugin is
>> installed.  Recently it had taken to mounting the removable media plus
>> /, /var, /tmp, and /usr when removable media was connected, so it's an
>> improvement of a sort.

A rebuild of libvolume_id cured that; don't know why it got skipped.
Of course Thunar is back to mounting both removable (USB flash) and
fixed volumes (SATA).  Maybe the recent versions of hal think the SATA
drive is removable.

> Have you configured PolicyConf to allow your user mounting?

Yes, it's all the same as before the upgrade, and the libvolume_id
rebuild got it back to working as before.

Additional:

The message from x11-wm/xfce4 says to put polkitd_enable="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf, and I'm pretty sure that's been obsolete/unneeded for
quite a while.  dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES" are still
needed.

Another nice option for the x11-wm/xfce4 port would be

NOTIFICATION    "Install notification popups"           on

to install deskutils/xfce4-notification-daemon.

Thanks again!