Dead projects in ports tree

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 12:46:25 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM,  <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:
> Garrett Cooper <gmail.com!yanefbsd at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
>
>>     Just trying to amass cruft in the ports tree that could be
>> marked deprecated and removed ...
>>
>> multimedia/openquicktime - no movement in CVS / SVN for 1+ years;
>> no releases in the past 3 years
>
> This strikes me as slim evidence on which to seek a death sentence :)
>
> While I can't testify to the usefulness of this particular port,
> the fact that something has not changed in a long time could just
> as well mean that it does its job well -- and thus does not need
> to be updated -- as that it is no longer useful.

openquicktime never worked for me several years ago and I doubt that's
changed until now. win32-codecs has been the only thing that's worked
for me with quicktime.

The quicktime format has advanced sufficiently in the past couple
years that I doubt that it would properly support playing quicktime
videos... That's part of what I'm driving at.

Thanks,
-Garrett