[RFC] New category proposal, i18n

Johan van Selst johans at stack.nl
Fri Jun 19 07:07:57 UTC 2009

Doug Barton wrote:
> > Should this new category come to being, the self identified ports in misc
> > would get relocated. All other ports would simply be extended with the new
> > virtual category name.
> You've probably already covered this, but are you making a distinction
> between ports that are used to _do_ localization-related tasks, and
> ports that are localized versions of existing ports?

I think that this is an important distinction; and personally I would
expect only the previous ports to go into this category. That is,
putting ports into categories primarily based on the functionality of a
port. For example when looking for a port like firefox-i18n, I'd expect
to find it in the www/ category, rather than an i18n/ subdir. But ports
like gettext or other localization tools could be in the i18n category.

Ciao,
Johan