[RFC] New category proposal, i18n

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at freebsd.org
Thu Jun 18 15:14:52 UTC 2009

I would like to propose a new ports category, i18n, it would become the new
home, physical or virtual, for ports that are i18n or l10n based.

While researching the topic, I found the two terms, i18n and l10n, are often
used interchangeably, and while either word could be used as the new category
name, I chose i18 because it seems to keep in line with the efforts of
freebsd-i18n team.

Currently in the ports tree there are about 220 ports with i18n or l10n as
part of their package name. Of these ports 159 are in the misc category,
virtually all of which are related to KDE or Qt.

Should this new category come to being, the self identified ports in misc
would get relocated. All other ports would simply be extended with the new
virtual category name.

Taking off my KDE hat, this new category could obviously be used by anybody
who is involved some sort of translation effort.

As per the Porters Handbook,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-categories.html#PROPOSING-CATEGORIES,
I hereby open discussion on the matter. If there is enough interest, I will
pursue the matter further with portmgr@

Thank you for you time, attention and feedback.

Thomas

--
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer
tabthorpe at FreeBSD.org	| http://people.freebsd.org/~tabthorpe