apr

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.ports at mailing.thruhere.net
Fri Jun 12 15:05:52 UTC 2009

On Thursday 11 June 2009 22:24:43 Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> All,
>
> I'd like to propose the following:
>
> devel/apr0 0.9.x
> devel/apr1 1.x
> devel/apr2 2.x (un-released, but soon)
>
> Then, I'd propose that any port that bundles apr have it 'removed'
> and those ports depend on the apr ports.
>
> I.E
>   www/apache22
>   www/apache20
>   devel/subversion
>
> We get to eliminate WITH_APR_FROM_PORTS knob and WITH_APACHE2_APR.

I certainly welcome this change as 99% of my installs already have
WITH_APR_FROM_PORTS, however 2 things:
- Instead of "(beware!)" one would probably want "(preferred!)" for the
APR_FROM_PORTS knob real soon now, while these changes are in the queue.
- It would help to have some documentation somewhere that lists what of the
apr modules are required for what software, so that one can make the right
decision for the apr port.

For example, subversion wants threads and bdb, if you need DBD/postgresql
support in apache, you need apr with postgresql (? I think) etc.
--
Mel