Python 2.6 update with portmaster

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:58:45 UTC 2009

2009/6/10 Jerry <gesbbb at yahoo.com>:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:44:41 +0200
> Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>2009/6/10 Wesley Shields <wxs at freebsd.org>:
>>> Here's a patch[1] that allows you to use portmaster when doing the
>>> python upgrade. I intend to commit this tomorrow morning unless
>>> someone speaks up. I'll also be adding the instructions to the
>>> UPDATING entry.
>>>
>>> Once applied you should be able to use:
>>>
>>> cd /usr/ports/lang/python && make upgrade-site-packages
>>> -DUSE_PORTMASTER
>>>
>>> It will be quite slow compared to using pkg_which (the normal
>>> method) so be patient. I've used this patch to upgrade one lightly
>>> used machine and I know at least one other person has survived an
>>> upgrade of a machine with over 1000 ports installed.
>>>
>>> [1]: http://people.freebsd.org/~wxs/python26-portmaster.diff
>>>
>>I applied the patch, but there is something wrong:
>>
>>> # make upgrade-site-packages -DUSE_PORTMASTER
>>> Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "}")
>>> *** Error code 2
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/python.
>>
>>Regards,
>>René
>
> IMHO, it seems like there is a lot of energy being spent on this rather
> trivial problem. Why not just use the 'portupgrade' solution and be
> done with it. This is not like it happens everyday. After all, it is
> only one port.

Installing portupgrade just for this sounds like an overhead too,
plus it needs to build all kinds of databases for only this occasion.
It is not part of the base system either (neither is portmaster), and I think
both are widely used.

René
--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)