Automatically generate symlinks for virtual categories.

Eitan Adler eitanadlerlist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 16:24:46 UTC 2009

Vitaly Magerya wrote:
> And here [1] is a new version that does the same thing,
> but uses INDEX file instead of traversing the ports tree.
> It's quite faster this way (assuming your INDEX is up to date,
> maybe it's better to allow both algorithms?).
I'll added your script to mine as a option.

> Disclaimer: I did not test it properly.
>
> The thing that looks strange to me is that the original script
> appends main category to the name of port when symlinking.
> I copied that behavior for safety, but are there really
> naming conflicts in the ports tree?

Yes. A lot of programs have category/name and language/name for
localized versions.

> [1] http://tx97.net/pub/files/auto-symlink-virtual.sh

Current version:
http://isis.poly.edu/~eitan/files/auto-symlink-virtual-2.sh
I'll be making a port of this soon ;)

--
Eitan Adler
"Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."