LOCALBASE vs. PREFIX

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 5 01:02:54 UTC 2009

Hi,

I received quite a few patches and questions that hint at the idea the
LOCALBASE and PREFIX are misunderstood.

For short:
PREFIX is where this ports installs.
LOCALBASE is where already installed ports are.

So for example you'd have:
 CFLAGS+=-I${LOCALBASE}/include -L${LOCALBASE}/lib
If you see PREFIX in *FLAGS then something is wrong
(and while here you might want to check that your port respects CFLAGS
and friends passed to it from the env, that's the next QA check we'll
be doing).

It's also wrong if you have something like
 install .... files ... ${LOCALBASE}/bin

By default, both LOCALBASE and PREFIX are '/usr/local', but we support
them to be changed if the user so desires.

There are currently 105 ports that fail on QATty because they don't
respect custom PREFIX and custom LOCALBASE and we're only at devel/
with the testing. Quite a few maintainers fixed their ports and I
expect patches from the rest of you :) It would be wonderful to get the
tree in shape for 8.0 release.

Thank you for your work,

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B