Don't know how to make /usr/ports/dns/bind96/work/.build....

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Jul 29 20:36:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Doug Barton wrote:

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>
>>> I believe Mel is right here. 'make clean ; make config ; make' worked
>>> for me.
>>
>> As does a second make after getting this error, but it's nonintuitive,
>> and probably a ports bug.
>
> I'm not sure why 'make clean' is nonintuitive in the context of
> changing OPTIONS. What is your expectation of how it should work?

The fact that the error occurs AT ALL is the bug and what is
counterintuitive, and many people would not think to try typing "make"
again, and instead would just assume the thing's broken.

(See previously referenced email)

Make clean isn't solving the problem, but I can see how you're getting
that thought.  The problem only occurs on a virgin, untouched,
un-configged port.

The solution to the problem in this case is to just re-run make.  There's
nothing to CLEAN, since you haven't made yet.

The reason it seems like make clean fixes it may also because make clean
does not do a make rmconfig: when I do an rmconfig I can successfully
duplicate this problem, however:

Running make config then make: fine
Running just make, with no config: this error.

Thoughts?

--

"If you aren't going to try something, then we might as well just be
friends."

"We can't have that now, can we?"

-SK & Dan Mahoney,  December 9, 1998