Don't know how to make /usr/ports/dns/bind96/work/.build....

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Wed Jul 29 19:33:37 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 10:57:05 Doug Barton wrote:
> Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> >> I believe Mel is right here. 'make clean ; make config ; make' worked
> >> for me.
> >
> > As does a second make after getting this error, but it's nonintuitive,
> > and probably a ports bug.
>
> I'm not sure why 'make clean' is nonintuitive in the context of
> changing OPTIONS. What is your expectation of how it should work?

What he means is that make without arguments or make install as per handbook,
will build the build target which will invoke the config target if OPTIONS
changed or no options file is found.

However, this is a corner case, as it applies to:
- Ports that change PREFIX using OPTIONS
- For which no options file is available or the OPTIONS list has changed
- When the PREFIX is actually changed through toggling the appropriate option.

This applies surely to less then 100 (probably more like a dozen) ports on the
18k that are in the tree and only affects people who do not use ports-mgmt
software. As such it is not worth fixing, IMHO.
--
Mel