FreeBSD Port: mplayer-0.99.11_14

peterjeremy at optushome.com.au peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Jul 27 09:16:53 UTC 2009

On 2009-Jul-24 22:56:55 -0800, Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.ports at mailing.thruhere.net> wrote:
>I don't consider sticking code into a repository "developing".

This is exactly the approach the Xorg project has adopted - and the
result is that Xorg is now incredibly fragile and very often broken.
(Though they have gone the additional step of ripping out existing,
working code for no reason other than to increase POLA violations).

> Release
>engineering is an important part of the development process and shifting this
>burden onto packagers, while stuffing more and more non-portable code into the
>repository is exactly why it's hard to find volunteers with the time and
>knowledge to maintain an up-to-date mplayer port.

Unfortunately, this fact appears to escaped the Xorg project as well.

--
Peter Jeremy